Do I need an GHIC card if I have Travel Insurance?

  • Updated

The GHIC has replaced the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card means you'll receive emergency and necessary state healthcare in EU countries as though you were a local citizen.

However, the GHIC isn’t a substitute for Travel Insurance. It doesn't cover you for:

  • the costs of rescue and repatriation (an air ambulance from Spain back to the UK costs £10,000 or more)
  • lost or stolen property such as passports, baggage or precious items
  • losses from trip cancellation, curtailment and interruption
  • extra travel and accommodation costs due to illness
  • any medical treatment needed outside of the EU

Was this article helpful?

2 out of 4 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request